Sr. R&D EngineerSan Jose, CA
Labcyte Inc. seeks a highly motivated candidate to join its R&D team. The Staff/Senior R&D Engineer role will lead the development of a new product that utilizes Labcyte’s novel low-volume acoustic liquid handling instrumentation and automation platform. This project is conducted in a partnership with AstraZeneca and GSK to develop a label-free platform for high-throughput screening (HTS) combining acoustic mist ionization (AMI) and time-of-flight mass spectrometry capable of analyzing more than 100,000 samples per day. In this role, the candidate will have the opportunity to solve challenging engineering problems relying on knowledge of materials science, electrostatics, acoustic physics, fluid dynamics, signal analysis, and electro-mechanical hardware to provide a comprehensive solution that meets functional requirements. This is a highly visible role with an opportunity to make a direct and immediate impact on critical workflows for biopharmaceutical companies and other pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations.
- execute experimental protocols; employ good data gathering practices; and use sound judgement to adjust experimental designs as needed.
- analyze large data collections, interpret the results, and disseminate information both internally to the R&D team and externally to collaborators (regular oral presentations are required).
- design experiments to validate that products meet design specifications during design verification testing (DVT).
- work in an interdisciplinary environment (interdepartmental and intra-company) with defined product requirements.
- exemplify strong collaborative behavior and work well with others towards a common goal,
- be innovative, creative, proactive, self-motivated, work independently on tasks with only moderate supervision,
- embrace working with scientific instrumentation integrating with automation and robotics to understand complex fluid phenomena at the micro/nano-scale.
- provide technical leadership and experimental execution to ensure important milestones are met on time.
Education, Skills, Experience, and Requirements
- Ph.D. in Physics or Chemical/Biomedical/Materials Science Engineering with 2+ years of experience (exceptional candidates with highly relevant graduate research experience will be considered); M.S. with 6+ years of applicable experience; B.S. with 8+ years of applicable experience.
- Proven track record of leading a research & development project, ideally from feasibility through a product launch.
- Experience with prototype integration, test, troubleshooting electronic, mechanical systems.
- Experience with lab measurement tools for electrical, optical, and mechanical technologies.
- Comfortable with mass transport phenomena, especially fluid dynamics principles (e.g. microfluidics).
- Knowledge of chemistry/ biology and good lab practices.
- Comfortable with basic statistical analysis concepts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ph.D. in Physics or Chemical/Biomedical/Materials Science & Engineering with 3-7 years of applicable experience.
- Experience with scientific instrumentation and measurement systems.
- Ideally, experience with mass spectrometry instrumentation, electrospray ionization (ESI), atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) and associated inlet systems.
- Familiarity with principles of acoustical physics, optics and advanced principles of wave phenomena (e.g. resonance, interference, propagation, etc.)
- San Jose, CA
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies.
Labcyte, a global biotechnology tools company headquartered in San Jose, California, is revolutionizing liquid handling. Echo liquid handling systems use sound to precisely transfer liquids. Labcyte instruments are used worldwide by all twenty of the top twenty pharmaceutical companies, as well as by small to mid-size pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology firms, contract research organizations and academic institutions. Labcyte’s customers work across a wide spectrum of biology including drug discovery, genomics, proteomics, diagnostics, imaging mass spectrometry.
To apply, please fill out the application form by clicking “APPLY” above or send resume to email@example.com and reference “Job ID #263” in the subject line.
Labcyte Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.